Sunday, June 15, 2008

Your mailbox is ugly, so was mine

I am sorry Mr. mailman that you must pick up mail in these horrible looking mailboxes that are junking up the front of base housing everywhere! At first glance, when you are moving into your new home, the last thing on your mind is, "Wow, my mailbox looks horrible". But, give it time the thought will come. So, what to do? I looked at Wal-mart and Home Depot for replacement boxes but goodness they were expensive! I'm talking 20 bucks for a cheep ones like this, I couldn't do it. I couldn't buy one out of principle. What this mailbox really needed was a good cleaning! I washed it up, removed the Eagle and spay painted it a new shinny black, it was sparkling. It had such a crisp new look and I think the mailman liked it too. But, then I got tired of looking at a black box, I wanted something with more character. Character like only a basket can provide!

Doncha love it! This was at Christmas. I took off the mailbox and attached this basket. I also took off the newspaper holder from the old one and put them on the basket. The baskets do weather more than a old metal box, but I am willing to replace the basket when needed. So, far it's been a year and I have the same basket. By the way, this basket is from Ross. It was cheep and I was willing to sacrifice a few bucks for my mailman. I do think he is much more cheerful when dropping off my mail.

So, here is the calling. Change your mailbox! It doesn't have to be ugly. A friend told me about a girl who painted her mailbox red! Oh, doesn't that sound cute! So, let's help our local postal service and brighten their day with a little color and character added to our mailboxes!

1 comment:

Tara said...

Very cute idea!! You really crack me up with how your mind never stops in the search for transformations :) My mailbox was cleaned only once when living on Frazier...I left bugs in mine for the mailmain...how cruel! :)