Sunday, June 15, 2008

Oh the places you can stain

This is your typical base house privacy fence. Counting blessings: you have a fence, it is made of real wood, it does provide 50% privacy, and best of all it is stainable. At first I tried lend (spell that?) seed oil , but really all that did was make the fence look really streaky and the finish did not last long in 100 degree weather. Before, I could try anything else we picked up and moved. But, at our 4th home I saw inspiration right across the street. Oh, it was the best looking fence I had ever seen. It had such a lovely redwood stain. Staining that fence really helped it look like a real live suburbia neighborhood fence.
This is my neighbors fence...hi neighbor! Also, this is the closest representation of the first inspiring fence I could find. I think she did a great job on this fence and she did this task as a labor of love all by hand. Warning to other stainer's, don't wash your hands with paint thinner.
My hubby was inspired as well, he allowed me to begin staining our fence too. After watching me struggle for 4 hours and only getting a few boards done. He decided a trip to Home Depot would help. He bought the best paint sprayer gun thing ever! He then took over the project and had the whole thing done in a few hours. He pick out this walnut because it match our lawn furniture. It has really been a great color, because I don't believe it is going to fade anytime soon. I will admit it is rather dark, but that's part of the statement.

So, do not be annoyed any longer by ugly fences, pick up your paint brushes or your paint sprayer gun things like hubs used on ours and get to work. So, it'll take a day or two or three depending on which method you use. But, look at the result! Isn't it much more warm and inviting with a little stain.

No comments: