Monday, June 16, 2008

My tiled back splash

Welcome to the kitchen! The heart of the home and definitely were I spend too much time. I wanted to show you the typical base house kitchen set up. Most are like this some are slightly bigger where you could place a kitchen table, and others are just big enough to be called a galley kitchen, like mine. When looking at the blank surface in fount of me ,I really wanted a smooth tiled back splash. I priced sticky pull off tile at Home Depot, but it just seems too permanent. I was afraid when removing the sticky tile it would just tear up the drywall. I finally decided just to paint tiles so it appears I have a back splash. The end result is a slightly imperfect paint job. It took me 2 days of lying on the counter attempting to fill in little squares that I traced onto the wall and then filled in with a 1/2 inch paint brush. Yes, it was hard and extremely tedious but, I love how it turned out.
Also, check out how I have mistreated my stove. I placed a cast iron grill on top of the gas burners. Not so sure this is fire code approved, but I can whip up a warm sandwich in minutes and I think my stove looks fancier this way. I might just be delusional and really my stove looks silly, either way I love being able to turn on my stove top grill.
Here is a more cohesive look at the kitchen. Yes, it is small but it works. I have known girlfriends who have added a small island. It was adorable, but really limited your space. I tired to get my husband to agree to an island from Sutherland's, but he was right, the space is really too small and for us it just wouldn't work. I also have a strange compelling desire to hang a pot rack from the ceiling. I am pretty sure if I attempt it I be frustrated. I fear it'll look cluttery and then if you have a pot rack hanging from the ceiling don't you need an island underneath it? I think this is a circular argument with myself....kinda like if you give a Mouse a Cookie...
Here is a close up so you can inspect my faux tile job! I've seen other faux painting techniques, like sponge and the linen look, used where the back splash goes. Also, just a bright color to accent the kitchen is in good taste. But, my personal favorite has been faux painted tile. So don't get hung up thinking you have to tile a back splash, a little paint can trick the eye and your house guests into thinking you tiled.

No comments: