Saturday, June 21, 2008

Confessions

My sister, Rowdy Riffles http://rowdyriffles.blogspot.com/ inspired me to become an "Organized Homemaker". She told me all about this great book, Confessions of an Organized Homemaker, she had picked up from the bookstore. I am a sucker for organizations so I ran out to the locate Barns and Nobles and picked one up!
Disclaimer: I did not run 240 miles to the nearest Barns and Nobles, I waited till we took a day trip to San Antonio and then got a copy.

Rowdy Riffle bragged about how she had organized her pantry and labeled all her canisters. Oh, let me let you the envy was building within. All these great ideas she had gotten from reading this fabulous books. I never knew there were other people out there with the same obsessions as mine. I wasted no time and went right to work, of course trying to keep a budget in mind. First, I got white wire shelving from Home Depot and install it along the left hand side.

I love to hang things, I use finishing nails all over the place. If you open any closet in my house, the walls will be covered with things hanging up. Here I added two green wire racks from Ross, they hold all my spices and any other small bottle or jar.

I used "Hooks" to support the weight. I used two 50 lbs. hooks to hold up the shelving units. That means I could possibly hold a whopping 100bls of spices! Please don't get any ideas like I am an expert chef, I am sure most of the spices are expired.

I then labeled all my dry goods and placed them in stackable tubs.

As you can see there were already white wooden shelves installed, but the top sheld is placed at a weridly low height. That is why the stackable containers and large cereal boxes end up there.

Another close up is of my on-going grocery list. I also stole this idea from the book. I love having everything categorized and the best part is Hubby also writes down groceries that we need. I always have the list hanging right there for easy access. You can't see the pencil, but it's attached to the clip board.

Here is a sneak peak into my linen closet. This is to prove to you in case you didn't believe me that I hang almost everything. Hanging here is the swifter, mop, car washing brush, grout scrubber and head light. You never can tell when you may need to mop and use the head light at the same time!


The trash can and dog food are also kept in the pantry . I love having everything hidden away. Hub and I disagreed about where we should keep the dog food for a few months. He thought it should be in the white trash can, but in the kitchen where it was easily accessible. However, I was horrified at the thought that everyone could see it and didn't want it out in the open. So, every time he moved it to the kitchen ,I moved it back into the pantry. Note it's current location for the past 6 months. I feel victorious.

So there you have it.... the pantry in it's organized state. I do clean it out several times and year and reorganize it to fit my needs. But, I love the containers and my shelves. I hope you like these ideas. But, please give credit to where credit is due, all inspiration was from Confessions of an Organized Homemaker. To get your own copy click here:

2 comments:

J & E said...

I am coveting your pantry..

Karin said...

Hi! I linked to your blog from Blissfully Domestic Living and saw your post about the Confessions of an Organized Homemaker book. I went right to Amazon and ordered it. I wanted to share a secret with you. You can buy a used copy of any book at Amazon for almost nothing. I bought the book you recommended for $.78 plus $3.99 shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1558703616/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

I actually live in San Antonio with all the big book sellers but you can't beat that price. I get all my decorating books that way!

Stay cool! This heat is nuts!