Saturday, June 21, 2008

Closets deserve organization

Do you need more functional closet space, I did!

This is your typical base house walk in closet. Oh, it’s so nice to have a walk in closet. Have you ever seen such depth, such shelves and not one, but two clothes racks? When you first move in the amount of space is unbelievable! Then by the time you have unpacked all your boxes of clothes you realize this just isn’t going to work.


I tried several different arrangements with my closet. First, I brought wire shelves to utilize the space at the top of the closets. I found two extra large wire racks at Wal-Mart, and it held me for a few months. But, I still had so much unused space in my closet. I had to find a better solution. Then, I added a shoe hanger, to make more floor space. But, good gravy, I hated seeing the hooks on the out side of the door. I know, I have issues, but it really irritated me to see those hooks. Then I realized what I needed to do. I needed a whole closet renovation. I looked on line and found closet organizational plans.


I played with it a little bit and figured out what dimensions would work. Then, with plans in hand I was ready to destroy the bedroom and play weekend warrior. Here is what I did. I brought this nifty little closet organizer from Home depot for $49.99. It is a little on the pricey side, but I splurged.

http://www.homedept.com/
ClosetMaid SelectivesT6 Selectives White Custom Closet Organizer 12 In. Wide
Model 7033
$49.99

I also needed something to take the place of that horrible shoe organizer that showed its nasty little hooks when the closet door was closed. I found adjustable shelves that you install on the grid stuff worked best. Shelves were like $4.00 a shelf and three to four pairs of shoes fit on a shelf.


See how I moved the main closet shelf? I literally removed it from its original location, which was way too short for me, and moved it to 63 inches high. I almost get a nose bleed just thinking about it. I now put seasonal clothes up there and my fancy shoes.

Now here is where the hillbilly in me broke out. See that extra rod, the one squeezed in between the real shelf and the real closet rod? Yes, that is a shower curtain rod. Not even a sophisticated installed one, it’s a twisty tension rod. I put my scrubs on that rod, but occasionally it will give way and tumble down. Which can make a very frightening noise at three o’clock in the morning.

So there you have it, totally renovated base house closet space. I love it! However, I think I am leaving my closet organizer to the next base housers.

1 comment:

Andie said...

How do I NOT have a walk-in closet :-( boo! Well, now that I think of it, I can walk into my guest room closet... Hmmm

LOVE LOVE LOVE the blog!