Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Popcorn ceiling cheerfulness

When we first moved onto base I painted almost every wall in our house, my Mother in-law can assure you I did. However, I had a little problem with painting the walls because the ceilings were textured and I am a firm believer in the magical use of an edger.

I love this little edger! I have used it several times as you can see by the many coats of paint on it. I just change out the brush pad and move to another paint color. However, with textured ceilings and an edger you get these horrible little wavy lines all along the ceiling where the edger gets slammed into a ball of texture. At our first house, I went back after I painted the walls and touched up every little wave with a fine paint brush. Not only did I touch up the walls where the cream paint didn't make it flush with the ceiling, but then I had to also touch up the balls of texture that had cream paint on them. It was tedious and neck breaking!


So here is the solution I came up with, at Home Depot I found this chisel to scrape the texture off the ceiling. It knocks off the texture in such a small width that you don't even notice the difference.


Until you paint that is... because with a smooth ceiling you can glide your edger along.


Awww see how easy! See that nice straight paint line! No wavy crazy line to stare at and find yourself dizzy from following it around the room. So there you have it, it you have textured ceilings and live on base like I do, please barrow my chisel and scrape off the texture. And, NO...no one will know you have done this, you won't get in trouble. (unless you go blab to someone or my blog gets out to the housing authorities) If anything the next couple to move into your base house will thank you. And, I am sure your walls will thank you too!

No comments: