Sunday, July 27, 2008

Hiking to Panthers Cave

With a July Birthday we always find something to do outside for Hubbie. I don't know why we haven't figured out that 100 plus degree weather is not when you should plan outdoor activities, but in TX you aren't going to find the cool mid 70-80 degree weather of Ohio in July. But, nonetheless it was fun and we had a great time.


It all started with, "what do you want to do for your Birthday?" I wanted to get a Wii for him. Great idea, right! What boy wouldn't want a Wii. Well, He wanted to take the dogs on a walk. And, that's why I love him! So a walking we went. I had heard of the Seminole Canyon (about 40 miles west of Del Rio) and I thought that might be a reasonably fun hike.

I found some info and it was indeed dog friendly. So, we decided to pack up the puppies and hike.

Notice the puppies doggy backpacks.


Momma T went with us and she was a trooper! I know it was hot and she is terrified like myself that Hub is going to fall over the edge of a cliff at any moment.
I would like to report that he did not fall in.

All in all it was about a three hour adventure. We were tired and a little sun burnt afterwards, but the dogs had such a great time. I think they thought is was their Birthday!

There where three shelters where we could take a break from the sun and rest!
Hi, Momma T!!

The reason we hiked three miles was to see this pictograph! What you don't see it? Don't worry we didn't either for about the first 15 mins. We were all bumped out because we thought the brush was covering up the 15 foot long red panther! Actually, you can see it in this picture. See the itty bitty fence post rising just above the brush, now walk your eyes up to where the tan and the gray rock meet. Then gaze about a centimeter left (cm not to actual scale). See it there very faintly about a centimeter and a half long (in the picture) and it's red..kidda looks more brunt orange. Hope you can see it!

I loved getting to spend with my family and of course documenting the whole thing with pictures. Hopefully, if you are this way you'll check it out too!

No comments: