Saturday, July 25, 2009

Weekend Family Fun

Why Stop?

Because Amy bought a book that tells you were all the historical marker in Texas are located. In all actuality, it got to be a pretty fun and a fairly interesting game, well at least for me and Amy. I think Gran-T and D had checked out after the first 15 pictures! I learned more about Del Rio in two days with Amy and Gran-T than I have in the last 4 years!This is the courthouse in Bracketville.


Then we when to Fort Clark Springs in Bracketville.
www.FortClark.comAmy and I both liked this cowboy picture.Some of the items on display at this museumUncle Marvin checking out the panoramic photos. This is Dick W McConnell, I thought maybe this is who our street in named after. Probably not, since he is Army and we are Air Force, but it is a nice thought.


We also went to visit Seminole Canyon in Comstock.
I think this is a picture of pictographs, but I honestly couldn't see anything either.


Then, we went to the Alamo Village....which was closed due the a death in the family. We did however document that we were there with these great belly shots.
http://thealamovillage.homestead.com/alamovillage.html
35 1/2 weeks pregnant!

The whole family, not going to the Alamo Village!
On the last day the family was in town we took off early to visit the Whitehead Memorial Museum.
The Cadena family has donated this nativity. I thought this was only open during the Christmas season, but it is actually on display year round. And, It was the only building with Air conditioning. Amy and I loved the fact that this was really a compilation of several Nativity's from several different eras.
This was my favorite scene from the display. I guess the mama sheep is watching her baby lamb roast. So sad but so funny!

The Brinkley estate is a very usual and interesting factoid of Del Rio.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dad_and_clint/24362424/
The Chapel was part of the Whitehead memorial and honestly I am not sure why. But, nonetheless it was interesting and pretty cool inside due to the stone walls.

Gotta stop and pose with another Historical Marker. This is of the Canal System of Del Rio. It was built to help water the grapevines at the Val Verde Winery. Which also happens to be the oldest Winery in all of Texas. We also visited the winery, but I didn't take any pictures.
http://www.valverdewinery.com/

This is the first Val Verde Regional Hospital were I now work.

A with the mannequin at the Whitehead's home. The most significant thing I could figure out is that this was the only mercantile between San Antonio and El Paso for several years. The Whiteheads ran the mercantile downstairs and had their living quarters upstairs.

1 comment:

J & E said...

YOU ARE SO CUTE! it looks like you have a balloon shoved up your shirt, oh wait thats tara...