Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Baby Wyatt Lee


Mr Wyatt Lee. Warming up after his bath at Val Verde Regional Medical Center.
What a miracle!


The Labor Story
I thought on the 15th at eleven am that my water was leaking and I was actually on facebook talking to Emma when I thought I felt a small leak. However, I was not sure because I thought, "Hey I might have just pee-peed a little". I went to the bathroom and checked...hum a little fluid but not a lot. So, back to facebook. Then about ten minutes later another small leak. I was more concerned this time and decided to check myself with the Nitrazine q-tip I "borrowed" from the hospital. It was positive. Meaning, I was leaking amniotic fluid. Oh man, I didn't want to go to the hospital till I was really hurting. So, as long as the baby was moving good I decided to stay at home and keep myself busy. I weeding the flower beds, walked around the block, made chocolate chip cookies, did laundry, facebooked some more, picked up dog poop from the yard, watered the flowers, and then around six o'clock at night the contractions finally started to hurt! So, I walked more and at 10pm I thought...I think this might be labor. At this point It was getting difficult to walk. I assured D that it was time to get to the hospital. Not only had I been ruptured for almost 12 hours but, I was really starting to feel the pain. I got to the hospital and my Doctor had signed out, his back up had signed out and I was refusing to see the Doctor who was on call. (I am such a good patient!!) haha So, I went to the L&D unit unsure who was going to be my doctor. I get checked by my dear friend and co-worker Yvonne to find out I was only 2.5cm, 95% effaced and 0,-1 station and Bag of waters about to rupture. Now, I am a pretty OK labor and delivery nurse. So, I knew that because I was a gravida one (first baby) I could potentially not deliver for another 7 hours!!! I was upset with myself for going to the hospital at 2cm! So, I got up and walked for an hour with my wonderful hubby who pushed the IV pole and made me laugh through pains that stopped me in my tracks! Now if you know me well not much will slow me down, but some of those contractions were enough to stop even me. After an hour of walking I was checked again 5 cm! Woo Hoo I was hurting pretty good! Yvonne gave me Stadol 2 mg and told me to sleep. HA Funny we tell people to sleep, but I was out of it. My water broke after a few minutes and one hour later I was completely convinced that I was going to poop in the bed. I even told Yvonne, "I'm serious Yvonne I am going to poop". I laugh now because we tell patients all the time, "You aren't going to poop you are just feeling the pressure as the baby's head comes down the birth canal". Well, I didn't end up pooping either. Yvonne checked me again and I was dilated to 10cm and crowning. (That baby was coming out whether I was ready or not) Oh, we found a doctor to take care of me at this point. Thanks Dr. Salama! Then I remember being allowed to push. I Never thought I would be so happy to push! But, honestly It felt like I was really pooping out a cantaloupe. I was thankful when I finally opened my eyes to see a baby boy and not a cantaloupe! I had only been at the hospital for three hours! Wyatt Lee was born at 0110 am on Aug 16th. Well, that is the the short version of my labor story. (hehe get it short!) Hope you enjoyed!! I left out some details about stitches and other loveliness :-) He passed his hearing test! On the way home from the hospital. We had to stop at Sonic and get something to eat!

Day three of Life! God is so good to us! What an amazing blessing and true joy!

8 comments:

A.K. said...

congrats LA!!! What an great story and journey that got your here! I love your new blog picture- how you look completely and utterly happy and your hubby looks completely scared! hah! can't wait to meet the little guy :)

lorna (@sewbylorna on IG) said...

Congratulations on your beautiful boy (and your short labor). And I can't believe you were weeding flower beds, baking cookies, etc. Only you, Leigh!!

Cris said...

aww..I have to agree only you would be able to baking and cleaning up dog poop..You are amazing! Wyatt is so blessed to have you and D as his parents! GOD is good all the time, all the time GOD is good! Love yall!

J & E said...

I couldnt agree more! Only you!! He's lovely!:)

Jessica said...

Oh LA I am so excited for you! I cant wait to meet that precious little man. Enjoy every minute. Love you :)

Andie said...

congrats leigh ann :-) you're such a beautiful mommy and wyatt is precious! love your pre-labor story :-)

The Nelson Clan said...

CONGRATS!!! Love the name by the way!
Hayden's middle name is Wyatt

The Updikes said...

Oh Leigh Ann! The way you describe your birth story was so funny! All those things we tell patients, "No really! I'm going to poop in the bed!!" I'm glad Yvonne & Dr. Salama took such good care of you!

Your family is so beautiful, congratulations! :)